What We Do
- Monitor activity statewide to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have full access to government records and proceedings.
- Serve as a “go-to” group in public disputes on access
- Serve as a media resource
- Provide a Quick Guide to Pennsylvania’s Right-to-Know and Sunshine laws
- Provide citizen training through libraries and schools
- Provide specialized training to lawyers
- Provide online training for Right-to-Know requesters
- Provide legislative testimonials
- Provide support in specific matters
- Analyze, publicize significant legislation and policies impacting access
- Maintain public and government awareness of transparency as backbone of democracy
- Submit friend of the court (amicus) briefs on behalf of the principles of transparency
- Counsel matching service
- Assist courts in identifying experienced access lawyers
- Develop a legal clinic to provide free assistance to qualified requestors before Office of Open Records
From the Executive Director
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the PaFOIC, we’ve revamped our website and have some exciting new initiatives coming soon, including open records and open meetings trainings around the state. We continue to facilitate an online forum and match access-seekers to experienced Right-to-Know lawyers.
We want to do more: provide legal assistance to people taking their denial on appeal to the Office of Open Records, assist government in digitizing government records and moving to best record management practices.
To do all of this, we need your help and money. Please become a member or make a tax-deductible donation today.
And if you join as a member, please attend our annual membership meeting on Tuesday February 24 at 1 p.m. at the offices of PA Media Group at 2020 Technology Parkway, Mechanicsburg PA 17050. Our success turns on the input and support of our members.
Check our website in coming weeks for details on our birthday bash sometime this spring. We plan to celebrate our accomplishments and set an ambitious agenda for our next decade!
-Corinna Vecsey Wilson, Esq., Executive Director